Are you looking forward to becoming a doctor? As you know, it is one of the most challenging professions in India, given the excruciating curriculum, years of academics, complex challenges, etc. At the same time, it can be exhilarating as becoming a doctor remains one of the top positions in terms of job satisfaction, handsome salary, social prestige and demand in India.
Wherever you are in your journey, this blog shall help you identify your next big decision regarding your career goals. There are a few facts that need your attention before you plan to pursue your goals from MBBS colleges in Mumbai. Without further adieu, let’s get started.
Table of Contents
1. Quick ways to become a doctor
Recently, India achieved a doctor-patient ratio of 1:834, which is better than WHO recommended 1:1000. This shows, how India is strengthening the number of medical practitioners. It is a lucrative career, as we expand specialised courses, multispeciality hospitals and population.
You can become a health professional in India through either of the following courses:
- MBBS: Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- BDS: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- BPT: Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- BAMS: Bachelor of Ayurveda Medicine and Surgery
- BHMS: Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine and Surgery
- B. Sc Nursing: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Armed Forces Medical Corps (AFMC) cadet entry.
Post-Graduate courses available in India:
- MD: Doctor of Medicine
- MS: Master of Surgery
- MPT: Master of Physiotherapy
- Post Graduate Diploma
The most sought options are pursuing MBBS from the best medical colleges in Navi Mumbai and MD colleges in Maharashtra. For your reference, read more to know the facts from Terna Medical College, Navi Mumbai.
2. Course Disclaimer
|Duration||5.5 years (1 year of internship)||3 years|
|Eligibility||Min 50% in 12th with Physics, Chemistry, BiologyAge: Min. 17 and Max. 25||MBBS in UG|
|Entrance Exams||NEET, AIIMS, JIPMER, AFMC, PGIMER, CMC VELLORE, BVP CET, MU OET, and KIITEE||NEET PG, JIPMER, AIIMS PG, PGIMER|
|Average Fees||1-50 Lakh INR||10-12 Lakh INR|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance||Merit/ Entrance|
- To secure admission to the MBBS colleges in Mumbai, you must be a minimum of 17 years of age and not more than 25.
- Secure 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology in HSC (12th)
- A valid score in NEET conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency)
Subjects during the 5.5-year course consist of studies on various branches of medical branches like Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Community Medicine, Dermatology and Venereology, Surgery, Orthopaedics etc.
- To secure admission to MD after MBBS
- Pursued MBBS from a recognised educational institute.
- Marks in NEET PG are widely accepted.
3. Curriculum Specialisation
MBBS colleges in Mumbai offer you a 5.5-year course that includes 1 year of internship. When you opt for your MD, you get to choose a specialisation. Choosing a stream makes you closer towards your goal. The following are popular choices in private medical colleges in Navi Mumbai.
- Aviation Medicine
- Community Medicine
- Hospital Administration
- Lab Medicine
- Nuclear Medicine
- Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Social and Preventive Medicine
- General Medicine
- Forensic Medicine and many more.
4. Job opportunities
As you are done with the rigorous curriculum of MBBS medical colleges in Mumbai, you have diverse sets of opportunities-
- MD/MS: Majority of MBBS graduates pursue specialisation with post-graduation. You need min. 50% in your MBBS for a recognised education to appear for NEET PG. The better your score, the higher the chance of securing admission in the specialisation of your interest.
- Hospital/ Clinics: You can secure an internship in a private or govt. Hospital. Many colleges are affiliated with a hospital that willingly accepts medicos.
- Start your own Clinic: Get registered with the Medical Council of India, and start your individual clinic or club together with other medicos as well.
- Govt. Jobs
- Combined Medical Service: Examination by UPSC. It is one of the most prestigious career options if you wish to practice in various govt. Departments.
- State Govt: Various State Public Service Commissions from time to time give updates regarding recruitment in state medical services.
- Overseas Education: Different countries have their own examination for you to pursue MS/MD. E.g. In the UK, you need to have a valid score in the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board Exam (PLAB)
- MBA in the Medical field: It is a 2-year post-graduation course available in various streams like Hospital Management, Public health management, and Healthcare Management.
Finally, you have your specialisation from MBBS colleges in Navi Mumbai
. Following job opportunities await you:
- Practise in a hospital/clinic: After your MD, you become eligible for practising in any of the govt. or private hospitals.
- Start your own clinic/ nursing home/ hospital.
- Pursue PhD and you get the opportunity to be:
- College Lecturer
- Govt. Sector jobs
- GDMO- General Duty Medical Officer. You can directly be appointed as Deputy Commandant (DC) in CAPF.
- Overseas opportunities
- Pursue super speciality MD in an abroad university
- Enrol in Residency- You would have to appear for a country-specific examination. For instance, if you wish to practise in the USA, you would have to appear for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
5. Perks and Salary in India
Salary After MBBS colleges in Mumbai
|Job Roles||Avg. Salary|
|MBBS Medico Interns||1-2 LPA|
|General Physician||4-6 LPA|
|Govt. Job Recruitment||5-8 LPA|
|Post MBA||3-7 LPA|
|Cardiologists||10- 15 LPA|
|ENT Specialist||8-14 LPA|
|Orthopaedic Surgeon||9 – 30 LPA|
|Psychiatrists||8- 20 LPA|
|Cardiothoracic Surgeon||14-20 LPA|
6. Top Recruiters
Major recruiters for MBBS colleges in Mumbai are-
|Hospitals||AIIMS, Apollo, Aurobindo, Medanta, Artemis, Fortis Healthcare, Manipal Hospitals, etc.|
|Management Firms||Cheggs, Glenmark, Sun Pharma, Cipla, Zydus Cadila|
|Research bodies||ICMR, NIV, IISC, Indian Cancer Research Center.|
|Laboratories||Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd, Apollo Diagnostics.|
7. Benefits and Challenges of Being a Doctor.
Every profession has its benefits and a few challenges.
Benefits of being a Doctor include:
- Job Satisfaction: Being called a life-Saver or a front-line worker gives life a purpose.
- Social prestige is associated with it. Doctors are deeply respected.
- 100% guaranteed career in the field of choice.
- You indulge in learning for life long. Every day you get the opportunity to solve complex problems.
Challenges of being a doctor:
- Education can be expensive
- Emergency rooms can have long working hours. E.g- During pandemic.
- Research can be time-consuming and expensive.
- Setting up a clinic comes with entrepreneurial challenges.
A degree from the best MBBS colleges in Mumbai opens doors for you in diverse areas. It gives you a chance to heal the world. With MBBS/ MD you get an opportunity to delve into finding solutions, curative operations and even help others fulfill their dream of becoming a doctor. The course in MBBS colleges in Mumbai is highly challenging and equips you to deal with real clinical problems.
- Which is the best career option after MBBS?
After MBBS, the best option is to enrol in MD/MS. Appear for NEET PG, secure a minimum of 50% in your MBBS and opt for a specialisation of your choice.
- What is the career path of MBBS?
MBBS is a UG course in medicine. You can do MD/MS/ PhD; open your own clinic, opt for lucrative govt. Jobs or practice in a govt./private hospital.
- What can I become after MD?
MD equips you with a certain specialisation. You can open your own clinic, practice in an institution, pursue research or even be a lecturer in a medical college.
- Which specialisation is best in MD?
The highly demanded specialisation is Neurology, followed by cardiology and Orthology. They are highly rewarding and you get to practice in some of the best hospitals.
- Which MD branch has the highest salary?
An MD can fetch you 12 to 30 LPA. The highest-paid branches are Cardiology, Radiology and Ophthalmology. With experience, you receive better packages.