Did you know the Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) is one of the most sought courses for NEET aspirants? There are many reasons, but one of the most important ones is the skills you hone through this 5-year long curriculum. If you aspire to become a dentist, BDS is the only way to fulfil your dreams.
Through this blog, you will understand the demands of the BDS degree and how it equips you for the job market. You will also get to know about multiple career opportunities post your graduation along with the lucrative incentives. So without, further ado let’s get to know about BDS colleges in India and the offerings of the degree.
Table of Contents
About BDS Degree: Course
Mansarovar Dental College, Bhopal, one of the best BDS colleges in India offers you the course in accordance with the course prescribed by the Dental Council of India. The Degree is awarded by MP Medical Science University, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh.
|Duration||5 years (4 years + 1-year compulsory rotatory internship)|
|Course fees||INR 1,98,000/- (First year)|
- 10+2 with 50% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology for general and OBC categories.
- 10 +2 with 40% aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology for SC /ST category only for Madhya Pradesh Domiciles.
- He/she shall complete the age of 17 years on or before 31st December, of the year of admission.
- Only NEET-qualified candidates are eligible to take admissions in BDS or MDS courses.
- Fulfil the eligibility criteria and then apply for admission on the college website.
- You shall be considered for ‘MP combined UG counselling’ for admission to dental college in MP.
- Do carry relevant documents for verification during counselling.
- Post counselling, you shall be allotted a seat in the dental college and hospital.
Quick Facts on BDS course:
The curriculum at BDS College in MP has the following major subjects-
|1st||General Human Anatomy including Embryology and Histology General Human Physiology and Biochemistry, Nutrition & Dietetics Dental Anatomy, Embryology, and Oral Histology|
|2nd||General Pathology and Microbiology General and Dental Pharmacology and TherapeuticsDental Materials Pre-clinical conservative dentistryPre-clinical Prosthodontics and crown & bridge|
|3rd||General Medicine General Surgery Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology|
|4th||Oral Medicine Radiology Oral Maxillofacial SurgeryConservative Dentistry and EndodonticsPeriodontics; Prosthodontics; Orthodontics; Pedodontics. Public Health Dentistry|
Mansarovar Dental College, one of the best BDS colleges in India, organises outreach programmes, which equip you to deal with real-world dental cases.
- Dental camps are organised in rural areas, old-age homes, orphanages, and homes for the disabled wherein you conduct dental screening and treatment. In collaboration with the Government Primary health centre, you get the opportunity to work in camps for oral cancer screening.
- The institute has 2 satellite clinics, under the supervision of the department of public health dentistry. One staff and two intern students are regularly posted there. The clinics are fully equipped with dental-chair, X-rays and Sterilization rooms.
- Extension and outreach activities.
- peripheral centres are opened in 2 locations for dental care in remote locations.
- Oral health programmes are conducted in various schools.
- Collaborations with several NGOs enable outreach programmes in both rural and urban slums.
The BDS colleges in India offer multiple departments for coursework in the fields of dentistry:
|Prosthodontics & crown bridge||Oral Medicine & Radiology||Pediatric Dentistry|
|Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics||Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||Oral Pathology & Microbiology|
|Periodontics||Orthodontics||Public Health Dentistry|
Top 7 skills to acquire with BDS degree
- Hands-on theory and practicals:
The curriculum equips you with multiple dental procedures like dental examinations, tooth extractions, root canal treatments, dental fillings, crown placements, and dental prosthetics.
- Diagnosis of dental cases:
You will be trained to diagnose dental conditions, interpret dental X-rays and develop appropriate treatment plans based on the patient’s needs and oral health.
- Interdisciplinary Knowledge:
In some cases, you may need to collaborate with other healthcare specialists to provide comprehensive care for patients with complex medical conditions.
- Evolving fields:
Dentistry is an evolving field given the advanced technology, you will be expected to stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in treatment and procedures.
- Problem-solving attitude:
During your curriculum in BDS colleges in India, you shall be introduced to complex dental cases, which will test your knowledge and skills in a comprehensive way. It shall also empower you to find solutions to real-world dental issues.
- Leadership and management
The curriculum prepares you to deal with clinical issues not only limited to dentistry but also managerial issues like resources, logistics, manpower, etc. If you aspire to start your own clinic, a BDS degree shall empower you with technical as well as managerial skills.
- Empathy and patience
As a medico, you will be trained to deal with patients. Subconsciously, you develop empathy and the required professional skills to enable you to become a great doctor.
The BDS degree from BDS colleges in India can get you multiple opportunities. Let’s look at the options you have.
- Hospitals/ Clinics– You can practice in a govt/private hospital/clinic to advance your practical approach to dentistry.
- MDS- Pursue Master of Dental Surgery with a specialisation. At Mansarovar Dental College, the following specialisations are offered-
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics: 2 seatsPeriodontics- 3 seatsProsthodontics and Crown & Bridge- 3 seats
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics- 3 seats
- Govt. jobs- Central and various state govt. Release vacancies as medical officers for their organisations/ hospitals from time to time. Important routes for joining the services are-
- Army Dental Corps
- For CAPF, you can appear in MOSB (Medical Officer Selection Board)
- Other services- Railways, the Territorial Army, etc.
- Other masters- You can pursue, MBA in public health, hospital management, etc. Top recruiters include- Apollo Hospitals, Sun Pharma, Aurobindo, Max Hospital, Fortis Healthcare, etc.
- Overseas Education- You can pursue Junior residency in top countries like US, UK and Canada. Before you decide which country and institute to get admission to, understand the various exams they accept and other formalities.
- Research: You can dive into research institutes if you are passionate about finding solutions to various dental issues. This gives you scope to formulate drugs, work on procedures and even contribute to technological advancements.
Expected salary for BDS degree graduates:
|Serving in Govt. facility||4 to 15 LPA|
|Private Clinics/ Hospitals||3 to 20 LPA|
|Dental Researcher||4 to 7 LPA|
|Professor||3 to 10 LPA|
We are sure you got an in-depth analysis of the BDS course offered at the best BDS colleges in India. The curriculum is holistically designed to address your professional aspirations. Every year, as a medico you will be challenged to deal with clinical cases professionally. The course equips you to pursue different paths as per your interest post-BDS degree and helps you in charting out a suitable career trajectory.
- What skills should a BDS have?
A BDS graduate must be trained in dental procedures like- tooth extractions, root canal treatments, dental fillings, crown placements, and dealing with dental prosthetics.
- Who earns more a BDS or a BAMS?
A BDS grad can start their career earlier and have higher patient visits. However, your earning depends on your experience and legitimacy. The better your experience, the better your earnings.
- Can I open my own clinic with BDS?
Yes, you can open your clinic once you are registered with the Dental Council of India. You can also get registered with the state’s dental council to practice within a state.
- What can I do with BDS?
After BDS you have multiple career opportunities. You can pursue MDS with a valid NEET-MDS score. Further, you can venture into research, practice in a hospital/clinic, be an academician or even adopt a govt. Service in central or state govt.
- How can I improve my dental skills?
The best thing to improve your dental skills would be to-
- practice under a doctor in a clinic/hospital.
- Keep abreast with the latest advancement in dental procedures.
- Getting an MDS with specialisation would help you gain legitimacy and stay relevant for new opportunities.