A Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) program can warm you up to practise dentistry in India. It is a popular choice among students seeking a career in healthcare. Every hospital, govt. facility and even private clinics seek candidates with BDS degrees. However, the scope of the degree in BDS colleges in Mumbai extends far beyond conventional dental practices.
In this blog, we will help you understand various career opportunities that exist after completing the BDS program from the dental colleges in Navi Mumbai. You will get to know how to look for BDS colleges, and desired experience in different fields. These paths can lead you to a fulfilling professional career as we help you in finding your interests.
Table of Contents
About BDS Program:
Recognition from the Dental Council of India is crucial for BDS colleges. You can switch between colleges if you have extreme reasons as determined by the council. After the completion of your course, you can register yourself under the Dental Council of India.
a) Course Highlights
|Duration||5 years = 4 years (Academics) + 1 year (Internship)|
|Eligibility||Valid NEET ScoreMin 50% in 12th with PCB from any national or state board|
|Mode of Admission||Merit-Based|
|Course mode||Year wise|
Why BDS Program?
BDS program is the only professional program in dentistry available in India. It is a recognised degree across the country as well as internationally. BDS program from the best dental colleges in Mumbai equips you with-
- Experience in dealing with oral ailments, dental cosmetology, etc.
- Develop expertise in scaling, root planning, periodontal surgery, bone grafting and furcation management.
- Seek professional expertise in govt. Or private hospitals/ clinics.
- In other master’s courses like MPH (Masters in Public Health); MBA in Hospital management, etc.
Top 5 Career opportunities after BDS program:
- Pursue MDS or PhD-
You need to have a valid NEET-MDS score, to enrol yourself for MDS. Various specialisations include-
|Orthodontics: Specializing in correcting dental irregularities.|
|Maxillofacial Surgery: Focuses on surgical procedures which include mouth, jaw, and face. E.g.- Dental implants, wisdom teeth extraction, and corrective jaw surgery|
|Endodontics: Deals with the study and treatment of dental pulp and tissues surrounding the roots of the teeth, often performing root canal procedures.|
|Pediatric Dentistry: Providing dental care to children and adolescents, ensuring early intervention and preventive measures.|
|Prosthodontics: Restoration and replacement of missing teeth through dental implants, crowns, bridges, and dentures.|
2. Opening your own clinic
You can be your own master, by opening your clinic. However, remember to gain min. 3 years of clinical experience. The focus must be on RCT, Crown-cutting, Impactions, etc.
- Dental Cosmetology: As influencers and digital personalities are on the rise, the demand for cosmetic surgery has shot up. Seek career advancements in such fields to create your own USP.
- Terna Dental College offers fellowship courses in Aesthetic Dentistry from MAHSA University, Malaysia.
3. Pursue jobs in Govt. Sector-
You can join defence and armed forces like-
- Army Dental Corps- You need to mandatorily complete your rotatory internship. MDS candidates can also apply.
- To join CAPF as Assitant Commandant, you can apply for MOSB (Medical Officer Selection Board)
- Other services include- Railways, the Territorial Army and state govt. vacancies.
4. Clinical Research
If you are passionate about finding solutions to unresolved and unique dental problems, clinical research is your way to go. You can also pursue it as a parallel career along with your practice.
- India is also known as the “Pharmacy of the world”, which gives huge scope for clinical research.
- Job roles include- Medical Advisor, Drug Developer, Regulatory Affairs Manager or Physician.
5. Academician (Lecturer in Dental College)
Gain some clinical experience, preferably 3 to 5 years. Many seek lecturers in BDS colleges in Mumbai. You can also get hired as a tutor or instructor. You shall be responsible for conducting practical sessions with the students.
6. Overseas career in dentistry
You can opt to pursue your Masters or even private practice in a country of your choice. Identify the eligibility criteria, as every country has its own. You might need to appear for National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Part 1 and Part 2 if you are thinking to practice in US/Canada.
7. Forensic Dentistry:
It can be an interesting career if you seek challenges and problem-solving as the core part of your career. Each day might amuse you with new knowledge and application-based work. All you need is a 55% in your BDS program, and you can enrol in well-equipped forensic science institutes. Also, MDS in Forensic Dentistry is available.
|Serving in Govt. facility||4 to 15 LPA|
|Private Clinics/ Hospitals||3 to 20 LPA|
|Dental Researcher||4 to 7 LPA|
|Professor||3 to 10 LPA|
So now you are aware, of diverse career opportunities available through BDS program. You might want to know the best BDS colleges in Mumbai.
Top Private BDS Colleges in Mumbai:
Ways to choose:
Finding the right BDS colleges in Mumbai requires certain research. Through this blog, you definitely got the idea of what you wish to pursue. But, now the task is to identify the right college. A few parameters to consider are-
- Infrastructure: Ensure that the laboratories, libraries and lecture halls are well equipped.
- Ranking and Affiliation: You can identify the All India ranking, through various accreditations like NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council)
- Faculty: Most colleges offer information regarding their clinical experience and years of teaching experience. You get to identify their niche area and eventually hope to work with them during your academics.
- Accommodation: If you are looking to find hostels within the campus, do check out the availability of rooms and if possible a visit would help you develop more insights.
To make it easier for you, Terna Dental College, affiliated with the Maharashtra University of Health Sciences continues to be one of the top BDS colleges in Navi Mumbai. It was recently graded as B+ in NAAC with 2.71 grade points. The college has separate living accommodations for male and female students.
The college also offers MDS in various specializations.
BDS program curriculum is designed to impart theoretical as well as practical experience. With the skills you develop, you have diverse opportunities to either develop your career in a certain specialisation, pursue the role of an academician or have a private practice.
Public health professionals have a high scope in a developing country like India. With a limited doctor-to-patient ratio, dentistry turns out to be one of the most rewarding careers in terms of salary and social prestige. We hope you take an informed decision that suits your interests and an opportunity to further advance in your career.
- What is the career scope in BDS?
The career prospect of BDS program is wide. You can-
- Pursue MDS / PhD
- Gain Clinical Experience in a private clinic/ Hospital
- Secure a Govt job in a Public hospital, Armed forces, Military facility, State govt. Hospitals.
- Dental Researcher
- Is BDS a highly-paid job?
Yes, the average salary of a fresh BDS graduate is 4.7 LPA. Depending on your experience, you can get lucrative incentives.
- Is BDS a doctor?
Yes, a candidate with a BDS degree holder is a doctor. You can specialize in various areas like Orthodontics, Maxillofacial Surgery, Endodontics, Pediatric Dentistry and Prosthodontics.
- Which field in BDS is the best?
In terms of salary, Orthodontist is the top-ranking field followed by Prosthodontists and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
- Top recruiter of BDS?
Important recruiters to note are- Zyduscadila, Aurobindo, Glenmark Pharmaceuticals, Straumann, and Envista.