Dentistry is not anymore, the last resort for students seeking to enter the medical profession but due to the availability of enormous career opportunities and growth prospects on a world level, Students from the science stream are also considering dentistry as a profession. And to enter this entry, one requires a BDS degree from a recognised college.
Let’s explore the BDS degree and other important information including the admission process, syllabus, career opportunities, and future scope through this blog. Here, we’ll also talk best bds colleges in UP that may consider studying this course.
Table of Contents
BDS Degree- Course Introduction
BDS is an undergraduate course in the field of dentistry. Students who want to build a career in dentistry, need to pursue this course from a college that is registered under the Dental Council of India to get a license to practice this profession.
Key highlights of the BDS degree of the best BDS colleges in UP
|Course Name||Bachelor of Dental surgery|
|Course Duration||5 years (1 year of internship)|
|Availability of seats||100|
|Minimum Eligibility||NEET-UG qualified with 50% marks in class 12th PCM.|
Admission Procedure of BDS
To get admission to the top bds colleges in Uttar Pradesh such as Divya Jyoti College of Dental Science & Research, students need to go through the below-mentioned admission process-
- Eligibility criteria of BDS
- Minimum age criteria-17 years
- Candidates must have cleared the NEET-UG examination with a minimum 50th percentile for general category and 40th percentile for reserved category students.
- Candidates must have passed higher secondary education with majors in chemistry, physics, biology, and mathematics.
- Students will be given admission to BDS courses based on merit basis.
Why study BDS Course?
For students who want to establish a career in the medical industry but are not able to crack admission for MBBS, a BDS degree is the best alternate choice. And as dental patients are gradually increasing, so does the demand for qualified dentists hence BDS degree will get enormous career opportunities. Additionally, as compared to MBBS graduates, BDS graduates can start their career early and this course offers a good return on investment if you choose to study this course from the best BDS colleges in UP.
Syllabus of BDS
Below-mentioned is the year-wise breakdown of the BDS syllabus-
|1st year Dental HistologyLaw for Dental ProfessionDental AnatomyBiochemistryPhysiologyProsthodonticsPreclin||2nd year PharmacologyOral PathologyMicrobiologyConservativePreclinDental Materials|
|3rd year Oral SurgeryConservative DentistryPatient Safety CurriculumPedodonticsGeneral surgeryGeneral MedicineProsthodonticsOrthodonticsCommunity Orientation Program Group Project/Research||4th year OrthodonticsPublic health dentistryPeriodontologyConservative Dentistry PedodonticsOral Medicine|
Career opportunities after completing BDS Program
Job Opportunities- Studying at the best bds colleges in UP will open multiple job opportunities in sectors like Hospitals, Dental Clinics, Pharmaceutical companies, Educational Institutes, Dental Product Manufacturers, research institutes, etc.
Below listed are the job opportunities graduates receive after completing of BDS program-
- Dental Hygienist
- General Practitioner
- Oral Pathologist
- Dental Blogger
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
- Clinical Research Scientist
- Academic Professor
- Oral Surgeon
- Dental Surgeon
Higher education courses
Once the students complete studying at BDS colleges in Delhi NCR, to wider their career options and gain expertise in a specific domain, they can join Master of Dental Surgery courses. Master of Dental Surgery courses are offered by dental institutions with various specialisations such as
- Prosthodontics, Crown & Bridge
- Periodontology and Implantology
- Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics
- Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Pedodontics & Preventive Dentistry
- Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology & Microbiology
Future Scope of BDS Degree
As people are getting aware of dental health & hygiene and its impact on maintaining overall health, the demand for a qualified dentist is increasing. After studying BDS from the dental colleges in UP, graduates can join government or private hospitals/clinics or can establish their own clinical practice after getting some years of experience under senior practitioners.
Furthermore, once you complete a BDS degree from an Indian University/college you can look for higher education options such as MDS, DDS, master in public health dentistry, etc, or practice dentistry abroad in countries like UAE, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, The United Kingdom, the USA, etc. However, to practice dentistry in these countries you need to give licensing exam based on the country’s requirements.
Why choose Divya Jyoti College of Dental Science & Research for the BDS course?
- This is considered one of the best bds colleges in UP as it is the only dental college that has a Membership of the American Academy of Developmental Medicine and Dentistry in Asia.
- DJ College of Dental Science & Research is affiliated with Atal Bihari Vajpayee Medical University.
- Various state and central government scholarship and internal scholarship such as the Ajit Singh Jassar scholarship is provided to students based on academic excellence, economically weaker & reserved category students.
- The college has a lush green campus with all the modern amenities such as advanced laboratories, and libraries to foster learning & research abilities among students. Additionally, it offers wi-fi-enabled residential facilities for Boys and girls.
- This is among the few Dental colleges in Ghaziabad, that has in-house 100 bedded medical hospitals with all the modern facilities and equipment.
We hope this blog helped you in answering all the fundamental questions related to the BDS course. Now you can join the best bds colleges in UP to establish your career in this rewarding profession.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the skills required to become a successful dentist?
To become a successful dentist after the BDS course, you should develop below- mentioned skills-
- Skills & knowledge of dentistry-related tools & machinery
- Analysis & Exploration
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Is BDS better than MBBS?
No, BDS cannot be considered better than an MBBS degree. But it is considered the best alternative for MBBS.
- Is Dentistry a good profession in India?
Yes, Dentistry is a good profession in India. As dentistry is a highly respectable job and offers numerous career opportunities with attractive pay packages. Additionally, the dentistry field is continuously growing in India and will need 1.5 million more dentists by the year 2030.
- How much does a BDS scientist earn in a year?
The average salary of a BDS dentist is INR 3,51,161 per year.